Are you engaged in activism and organizing at your workplace? Apply for funding today!
You are eligible to apply if you meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- You are, or were, a worker in the tech industry, regardless of job function;
- You are, with your coworkers, building collective power or pressuring those in positions of power within a tech company to make lasting change to improve working conditions in the tech sector, and may benefit from financial support to succeed;
- You are 18 years or older;
- You have a social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN);
- You have a US bank account; and
- You have not previously received a stipend from the Fund.
At this time, funding is only available for individuals and not organizations.
Applications are now closed
The application portal is now closed. We’re currently raising funds for a second round of stipends to workers and plan to re-open the portal soon. 100% of all online donations will go directly to workers. If you’re able, donate $50, $100, or $1,000 to the fund today so we can re-open our application portal and continue helping workers fight for better jobs and workplaces!
About the Application Process
Submit Application. Click the apply now button above, and fill out the application with the most compelling information you can share for your request to be considered. The application should take 10-20 minutes to complete and can be completed on any device.
Application Review. Eligible applications are reviewed by the Tech Worker Committee and Fund Staff who evaluate the applications based on the eligibility criteria (above) and the following acceptance criteria in deciding whether or not to recommend funding. This acceptance criteria was developed by the Worker Committee in partnership with the Fund’s board and staff:
- The extent to which an individual’s actions further the Fund pilot’s mission of fighting for a safer and more equitable tech industry;
- The extent to which an individual’s actions are aligned with the Fund’s values, including collective liberation from white supremacy, patriarchy, and other systems of oppression.
- The availability of funds;
- Anything else the Worker Committee deems relevant.
- Unfortunately, not all applications that meet this criteria will be approved.
The Fund will consider an individual’s application as well as any information about the individual publicly available or previously known to members of the Fund.
Receive Decision Notice. Within 2 weeks of submitting your application, you will receive notice about your application to inform you of next steps.
Interview. If your application qualifies to move forward in the process, we will schedule a brief 30-minute phone or video interview to meet you and hear more about your activism. Applicants will have 2 weeks to schedule an interview.
Accept Payment Offer. If approved, payment will be offered to you and information will be requested for issuing your payment. Applicants will have 2 weeks to accept the terms and provide payment information.
Receive Payment. You will receive your payment within 3 weeks of submitting acceptance (up to 5 business days for ACH payments, and up to 15 business days for check payments). On average, recipients have received funding within 4-6 weeks of submitting their applications.
Use the Funds. The money will be in your possession to unleash your actions. We trust that you will choose how to best use the funds awarded to support your activism work. Examples include, but are NOT limited to:
- Buying non-company tech (phone, laptop, software, etc.) to communicate safely
- Travel expenses for workers to attend strategic actions, training, meetings, etc.
- Funding for communication materials for workplace activism.
- Paying the fees to have a guest speaker present on issues related to activism.
- Facilitating workplace organizing events (venues, tech platforms, etc.).
- First-time legal fees for filing unfair labor practice charges.
- Rent, groceries, or other bills.
1099. Payments from the Fund are considered taxable income. As part of the application process, you will be asked to submit a W-9 and payments will be reported to the IRS. You will receive a 1099 in the following year, for your tax filing purposes.
Donate to the Fund
We’re able to commit 100% of the funds contributed online to providing financial support to workers in need. Join others in donating $25, $100, or $500 to the pilot fund today.
Stay in the Loop
Not looking to Apply? Receive updates and news about the Solidarity Fund by Coworker.